Friday, November 18, 2016

UB Got Me Here

This week's spotlight is on Jillian Shuck!

Jillian was recently elected as a student representative for the Logan Hocking School Board. This is a notable achievement; only two students are selected to serve on the board each year, and the application/election process can be quite rigourous. In this post, we are featuring a short Q&A with Jillian to gain her perspective on this new position. 

Q: What made you want to apply to be a student representative for the Logan Hocking School Board?
A: I wanted to apply to be a student representative for the Logan Hocking School Board because in my future I plan to be an English teacher. Getting to know how a school system works will help me understand one when I graduate with my degree and work in one. I also like to be one that helps guide people on the right path for success. 

Q: What did you have to do to be elected for this position?
A: To be elected for this position, I had to write three essays about why I wanted the position, the qualities I have for the position, and one issue I wanted to address in teh school district. I also had to have two letters of recommendation, one of which was Upward Bound, and I had to have a resume. The last thing I had to do was meet with one of my principles and a board member for an interview. The interview was nerve racking. 

Q: Can you tell me a little bit about what you do as the student representative now that you have been elected? 
A: As a student rep, I sit on the board with the senior rep and other board members. I am the junior rep. I listen in and put my input into the conversation when I have a comment on the issue at hand. I also talk about what the students want. I am new to the meetings. I haven't done many things in the board yet. 

Q: Do you think Upward Bound contributed to your success? If so, how?
A: Yes, I think Upward Bound has helped me immensely. I used to be someone who did not talk in front of many people and wouldn't draw attention to myself, but at Upward Bound I met new peopla dn came out of my shell. I am more confident in myself now. I am not afraid to talk in front of a group of people, and it has helped me become better with my stress and time management. 



Congratulations, Jillian! We are very proud of all of your accomplishments. 


-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"UB Got Me Here" is a column that features various students for the academic and personal success they have achieved with the help of the Upward Bound program. Everyone has a different story, and we look forward to sharing how Upward Bound has helped prepare each student for the future and what goals these students have set for themselves. 

Want to be featured? Email jenkinse@technologyproject.ohi.edu or message Upward Bound on Facebook

No comments:

Post a Comment